Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Coming At You Again From The Only City of Champions!

What's up my friends?

I know in talking with all of you and reading these blogs that everyone is enjoying their break so far! You can ask any of my roommates, since I came back home from Georgia I have been so anxious to get back to school it's not even funny. If I was flying Southwest I'm pretty sure I'd change my flight to tomorrow, but unfortunately I have to wait until Friday to get back. Freshmen, when I was in your shoes I wanted to stay at home as long as possible and you guys can ask Meg and Jordy--I'm pretty sure the three of us cried in the airport that Friday morning when we had to go back. My point in telling you that is to make you realize this year is COMPLETELY different. Not just the freshmen, but everyone should be anxious to get back to school. Sure it means classes and work starts again...but it also means that our season starts!!! We're reunited with our 29 other best friends, spending a lot of time together, and making memories that will legitimately last a lifetime. I can promise you that my class as a whole is determined to make this semester one you will never ever forget.

Before I get to the good stuff, my break can be summed up by the following four pictures:
I've been spending quality time with this guy, my main man, Lucky, after workouts and at night watching movies and catching up on sleep with him. He's an absolute gem and is easily the world's best cat. I love him more than most things.

As most of you know, I also spent a week in Georgia with Matt this break. Fortunately it was 75 degrees and sunny so we spent one whole day on his boat. It was an awesome, awesome week...especially when this guy decided to join us and was definitely ten times better at catching fish than I will ever be. For my Finding Nemo lovers out there..."Fish gotta swim, birds gotta eat."

By the time I came home it was time for one of my friends to head back to school so a bunch of us went out to breakfast at this restaurant that a family friend owns. Being that I have a severe obsession with Mickey Mouse and Disney World and that my first screen name ever was "Mickiemouse16" (still better than Jordy's sillybear02 at age 6), I obviously ordered the kids meal of Mickey Mouse pancakes and was overjoyed when this masterpiece came to the table. (Don't worry nutrition team, I was not able to finish it all by any means.) For obvious reasons, I had a massive smile on my face the rest of the day.

Finally, I've used my agility and nimble speed from our 100s, 40s, and 300s to fight crime in Andover over the past few weeks. The local police are so happy to have me back in town and love when I come home so I can really help them out with some of our town's more heinous crimes such as the one from our local police report below:
Yes, this is a real live Andover, Massachusetts police report. Sorry, America, but this is a definite sign of struggle.

Okay, all joking aside, as I said earlier, I cannot wait to get back to Notre Dame and start up practice again with this team. There's a camaraderie amongst this team that is unlike any that has existed in my previous three years here. There is no doubt in my mind that each and every one of us has what it takes to accomplish our goals this season. We have what it takes to make it to the end of May. But as many before me have said, its not just talking and believing and knowing that we have what it takes to get there, its actually going out there on that field whether it be practice, our exhibition game against Johns Hopkins, or any of our regular season games, and getting it done--walking off that field having gotten better and having beaten the other team. 
One of my favorite role models in the world of professional sports, and okay it has a lot to do with the fact that he plays for my favorite team to ever walk the Earth, is Tom Brady. He was recently featured on the regional cover of Sports Illustrated and the story of his college career was a main article in the magazine. Tom Brady is undoubtedly one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game of football and will for sure be in the NFL hall of fame one day. His road to greatness, though, was not a cakewalk as many may believe. He was at odds with his coach at Michigan from day one and struggled each and every day to prove himself. He wasn't even drafted until pick #199, an event which he details in the ESPN feature "The Brady 6" that I have watched numerous times. In the end of this film there are many lines by other professional football coaches, Brady's father, and Brady himself that I think resonate perfectly with this current team. I've attached the video below, and as you're watching it I want you to think about this: Maybe from top to bottom there are teams out there that we'll be playing this year that are more talented than us. Maybe there's a team out there that has slightly better stick skills than we do. Regardless of any of that, no one will be able to stop us if we are the team that has the most heart, every day, every practice, every game, every time we step on the field. His part at the end of the video where he talks about what motivates him can prove as real inspiration for all of us. If we show up to practice and outwork every other team in the country, regardless of outright talent, there is no doubt in my mind that we will be where we want come that last weekend in May. Tom Brady is the perfect example of this.


Can't wait to see you all in a few short days! Enjoy the last bit of break with your friends and families!

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. kell that video is awesome, and for not bein the #1 Tom Brady fan he is pretty ridiculous! I love that part about what motivates him and always thinking there is more to prove.. inspirational

    ReplyDelete